Just like small children, dogs often times refuses to eat. This can only be temporary and should not be a cause of concern. But it can be frustrating on your end if your dog won’t eat his complete, balanced food.
It is important to observe the difference between a finicky eater and the one who does not eat at all. In this article, we will be discussing a few tips on how to feed your dog the nutrition his body needs from his dog food.
Dogs, just like a child who refuses to eat anything but his favorite snacks, only wants to eat the food that he is used to. When a dog refuses to eat, it can be because you changed his favorite or regular food, or he has been fed too many snacks or table scraps. The following situations can also affect the appetite of your pets. Read on to learn why this occurs and what to do about it.
- Although it’s common that dogs eat less in warmer or hot weather conditions, it may still cause you to worry. But then again, it’s normal. So don’t fret. Once it cools off your dog should have his appetite back.
- Often when a dog has just recently been vaccinated he can be temporarily under the weather and may just need some time to feel good.
Huge Changes in Normalcy
- If your dog is just recently adopted, make sure that you buy the same type, flavor and brand of food he has been eating. Any changes such as a new home may lower down your pet’s appetite. But if you are going to serve the same type of food prior to changes, he would likely eat his food without a problem.
- If you really need to make a switch of dog food, you have to do it slowly. The process should take over a 7-10 day period.
Only Feed your Dog during Meal Times
- Although you may be tempted to feed your pets every chance you got, try not to. Shower him with lots of love and affection and not scraps and treats.
- Keep your garbage cans out of reach. Dogs are known to be scavengers.
- Set a schedule and follow it. Once you have established the times your dog feeding time, make sure to follow it. In fact, you can use this as a family bonding time. You can assign a family member to feed your dog at certain times of the day.
Again, there is a huge difference between finicky eaters and refusal to eat at all. If your dog who is very enthusiastic about its food, but suddenly loses interests in it can be a cause of concern. The loss of appetite in dogs may indicate something is wrong.
However, as mentioned above certain factors can affect your dog’s eating behavior. You can monitor your dog’s behavior over the next few hours or day and see if he regains it back. If no changes occur, you may need to pay your vet a visit.